How Do I Start A Lycoris Squamigera Or Lycoris Incarnata Seed?

Started by Anita, September 10, 2024, 05:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anita

Hello Everyone,
I have a lot of Lycoris squamigera that bloom for me every year and a scant handful of what might possibly be Lycoris incarnata.
Now I know full well, that LS is generally sterile although it might occasionally produce a seed in a very rare instance.
But I don't know how fertile Lycoris incarnata might be.

Here's what's happened:
One of my Lycoris has produced a single seed. It is black, firm to the touch, mature looking, and just under half an inch across. If it has a viable embryo inside it, I want to give it the best possible chance to live.
So--how do I grow it?
Does it need a certain amount of cold time in the refrigerator? If so, how much?
Somebody please help me--the only other bulb seeds I've ever grown were Japanese iris.
Thanks! :)

Steve Marak

Hi Anita,

I don't stratify, and sow as quickly after harvest as I can. I've never tested to see if they'd germinate after dry storage but I suspect it would be much reduced if at all. I usually put the pots near the edge of the greenhouse, which is frost-free but can get down to the low 30s F (near 0 C) briefly on the coldest nights.

But here in NW Arkansas, US, USDA zone 6 or 7, the ones I don't collect and just let fall where they will outside germinate and do fine on their own, even in areas that are not mulched other than whatever tree leaves fall. While digging Lycoris to give others, I've encountered these seedlings, and the radicles can go 6 in (15 cm) into the soil with no leaves showing until the next growing cycle, so don't give up if you don't see action above the soil right away.

There's always an exception so maybe x squamigera does make a viable seed now and then, but in about 35 years I've never had one make any seed at all. They always appear to be setting pods, which always yellow and abort with no actual seeds inside.

There are other Lycoris growers a lot more knowledgeable than me here, I hope they'll chime in.

Steve

Anita

Steve--thanks a bunch for responding to my question!

I think I'm going to give this little rascal a few weeks wrapped in damp peat moss inside my refrigerator and then see if it will grow for me inside my house this winter.
It's going to have plenty of company--I've got two different kinds of Magnolia seeds, dogwood, and Japanese maple seeds that I'm going to try growing inside the house as well as peach pits and gingko's outside.
:^)