Not a bulb, but can anyone identify it?

Started by Mikent, August 30, 2024, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikent

Not sure what this is. I'm pretty sure it's a weed, or maybe a tree, although the stem looks totally wrong for a tree. Two sprouted up this year about ten feet from each other in an area I have never seeded anything. Although, I do have quite a few amaryllids growing in the immediate environs. I usually either deadhead the flowers, or collect the seeds.

CG100

How woody is the stem?
Seedling palms frequently look like that.
Apiaceae?

Robert_Parks

Some Apiaceae? Kinda looks like a carrot relative sort of stem and leaf

Mikent

Quote from: CG100 on August 30, 2024, 11:42:05 PMHow woody is the stem?
Seedling palms frequently look like that.
Apiaceae?
The stem almost looks succulent. I haven't actually given it a squeeze (I was thinking it might be poison hemlock), but it does look soft and kind of swollen.

I was thinking along the lines of Robert's comment above - wild carrot/parsley/hemlock, but the leaves look nothing like this - they all look, more or less, like queen anne's lace, or carrot leaves. 

CG100

Quote from: Mikent on August 31, 2024, 12:01:17 PMI was thinking along the lines of Robert's comment above

That was my second guess above.

It isn't a common Apiaceae as I know all the common ones in the UK, many of which also grow in the US. For sure not carrot, cow parsley, hemlock.

Let it flower and that will be ruled out or in for certain.

CG100

The foliage of all Apiaceae that I can recall has a pronounced, or strong smell when crushed - several at least are used as culinary herbs.

Rub a leaf - see what if any smell you get.