Can you grow South American bulbs in a dry hot climate

Started by Bulbs and blooms, August 17, 2024, 05:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulbs and blooms

Hello! I grow a lot of South African bulbs and have been seeing a lot of South American bulbs and am curious about the care requirements. I live in a very hot dry part of Los Angeles. It's wet during winter but not too cold 35f lowest. What soil do South American bulbs like and how much sun can they handle? Do they like shade? The genera I'm interested in are Bessera, Eustephia, Eucrosia, Habranthus, Hippeastrum, Leucocoryne, Milla, Phaedranassa, Sprekalia, and Hymenocallis. Do they all have somewhat similar care or do they all have different requirements?
My name is Chris. I am mainly a grower of bulbs from areas of Africa but I still grow bulbs from other regions. I grow on my balcony in Southern California zone 10b.

janemcgary

"South American bulbs" is not a monolithic category. South America has a vast range of climates, and bulbous plants grow in many of them. There are bulbs from rain forests, from high mountains, and from coastal deserts. You need to research what areas have climatic patterns close to those you can approximate in your garden. For Los Angeles, you would want to look at coastal Peru and northern to central Chile, and the dry eastern foothills of the Andes in Argentina. You could expand beyond that if you can create small irrigated habitats. The PBS wiki will give you information on species origins. Be aware that plants from high elevations can be very difficult to maintain in the lowlands, as they may be unable to tolerate high temperatures and may require a long dormant period under snow cover. The PBS has published and sells a book, "The genus Hippeastrum in Bolivia," which offers eye-opening descriptions of the varied habitats of this genus in that mainly high-elevation country.

Bulbs and blooms

Quote from: janemcgary on August 18, 2024, 07:08:30 PM"South American bulbs" is not a monolithic category. South America has a vast range of climates, and bulbous plants grow in many of them. There are bulbs from rain forests, from high mountains, and from coastal deserts. You need to research what areas have climatic patterns close to those you can approximate in your garden. For Los Angeles, you would want to look at coastal Peru and northern to central Chile, and the dry eastern foothills of the Andes in Argentina. You could expand beyond that if you can create small irrigated habitats. The PBS wiki will give you information on species origins. Be aware that plants from high elevations can be very difficult to maintain in the lowlands, as they may be unable to tolerate high temperatures and may require a long dormant period under snow cover. The PBS has published and sells a book, "The genus Hippeastrum in Bolivia," which offers eye-opening descriptions of the varied habitats of this genus in that mainly high-elevation country.
Good to know! I saw an add in one of my bulb garden articles for that book with an email for more info. I sent a message to the email and never got a reply. Where can I buy the book?
My name is Chris. I am mainly a grower of bulbs from areas of Africa but I still grow bulbs from other regions. I grow on my balcony in Southern California zone 10b.

Uli

Hello Chris,

The Hippeastrum book is available at our treasurer @ Arnold Trachtenberg who has the stock, he will be more than happy to send you one, please get in touch with him   arnold140@verizon.net

Growing South American bulbs on a balcony in Los Angeles? Hmmm..... sounds challenging but I would like to encourage you to try. Much will depend on exposure to sun and wind, it may be a good idea to protect the pots from direct exposure to the sun by simply putting them into a larger one or wrapping them with aluminum foil, the first version looks nicer especially with ceramic pots. Overheating substrate may damage or kill roots or even bulbs. Hippeastrum hybrids should be possible, with species it might be a trial and error thing because some have specific requirements. Summer growing Oxalis have nice foliage and flower for a long time and for the winter you can switch to the winter growing ones.
The smaller Amaryllids like Habranthus and Zephyranthes should be easy, too. I would avoid tall growing plants or very large leaved ones as they may be damaged by wind but why not if your balcony is sheltered.
There are also advantages growing on a balcony: you are out of reach of slugs and snails and narcissus fly probably, too. Not to talk about rodents and deer...... which can devastate a plant collection. Just take care not to introduce slugs and snails hidden in pots into their new mini habitat.
Just ideas.....
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

Bulbs and blooms

Quote from: Uli on August 19, 2024, 12:58:54 AMHello Chris,

The Hippeastrum book is available at our treasurer @ Arnold Trachtenberg who has the stock, he will be more than happy to send you one, please get in touch with him  arnold140@verizon.net

Growing South American bulbs on a balcony in Los Angeles? Hmmm..... sounds challenging but I would like to encourage you to try. Much will depend on exposure to sun and wind, it may be a good idea to protect the pots from direct exposure to the sun by simply putting them into a larger one or wrapping them with aluminum foil, the first version looks nicer especially with ceramic pots. Overheating substrate may damage or kill roots or even bulbs. Hippeastrum hybrids should be possible, with species it might be a trial and error thing because some have specific requirements. Summer growing Oxalis have nice foliage and flower for a long time and for the winter you can switch to the winter growing ones.
The smaller Amaryllids like Habranthus and Zephyranthes should be easy, too. I would avoid tall growing plants or very large leaved ones as they may be damaged by wind but why not if your balcony is sheltered.
There are also advantages growing on a balcony: you are out of reach of slugs and snails and narcissus fly probably, too. Not to talk about rodents and deer...... which can devastate a plant collection. Just take care not to introduce slugs and snails hidden in pots into their new mini habitat.
Just ideas.....
Thanks you for the ideas! I'll have to do a few attempts with some common species or hybrids. I sent Arnold an email just now!