August 2024

Started by Too Many Plants!, August 06, 2024, 09:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too Many Plants!

Quote from: Martin Bohnet on August 24, 2024, 11:20:51 PMthat's strange - in my climate the M. polystachia hasn't come up yet and always struggles to flower at the very end of october. seems to be a very adaptable plant..

Hi Martin. What I believe I've observed in my garden is they appreciate being watered in the summer and start early summer for me when watered well. They come up around the plants I soak in my "dry" garden. They usually leaf out and flower in July. But as winter approaches and sets in, they do not like much water. In past years I have pictures documenting them in flower from July through February. But our last couple winters we've had more rain than typical, and last winter there were very few flowering by the start of January, and vegetation was completely gone by the end of January. I could see in their flowering they weren't happy with all the rain.

Too Many Plants!

August is going out sending up some Fire Works 🎆🎇 !

Boophone Disticha.
And some others I don't know off the top of my head...

Updated pink flower pic...

I believe the pink flowers are the Amaryllis X Crinum hybrids I got from an old timer collector.

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Boophone

Too Many Plants!

FIRST flowering!

Here's one I could use some help with...planted years ago, and of course a long lost tag.

Beautiful blue wide flat strap leaves. I'm fairly sure it's a SA species.

Brunsvigia Josephinae..?

Well, I'm bummed to say...we are having a major heat wave in So Cal, today we hit 112F, and tomorrow should be hotter, with a few more days after of high temps before it starts to cool down. I fear it's going to take it's toll on my first ever flowering of this Brunsvigia. 😢

@Robin Jangle

Too Many Plants!

Well...I keep thinking, ONE of these days, this A. Corinica HAS TO flower! 😡