Neem for bulb flies, and a broader question of chemicals

Started by MLoos, July 03, 2024, 06:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLoos

Hello All,

Concern about greater bulb fly is always in the back of my mind.  I've lost some real treasures over the years.  Lately, I've been using unmentionable chemicals with great success.  I use them only in potted bulbs and keep saucers under the plants to control runoff.  I am well aware of the toxic troubles as I use similar chemicals (and worse) at work under protective clothing, with respirators, and in hoods.  It's very specific application and not in actual growing conditions.

Is anyone using neem to control bulb flies?  It works surprisingly well as a systemic control for other things.  Combined with spinosad, I use it to control lily leaf beetles.  For me, it is a reasonable contact kill as well as having a lasting effect for about three or four weeks.  I have found that neem can be phytotoxic in some applications. 

Does anyone have similar experiences?  Bulb fly?  Lily leaf beetle?  Is anyone using beneficial nematodes?  I know GB and the EU have banned quite a few chemicals in recent years. Any thoughts there?

From what I hear, there are non-neonicotinoid, systemic formulations that are/will be coming available in the next few years, but that's another thing.  I have yet to dive into this.

I know this can be a somewhat decisive subject but it would be great to have some discussion on more gentle or specific use pesticides.  Certainly, not all "organic" pesticides are more gentle on the environment, but perhaps there are other options.  

Thank you,
Michael

Diane Whitehead

The narcissus fly lays its eggs where the leaves enter the soil.  I grow bushy plants to hide the base of the narcissus leaves.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Arnold

Mike

Glad to hear your trying to keep the poisons out of our environment.

I use Neem, Spinosad and Pyganic for control of the Oriental Fruit moth, Spotted Lantern Fly and Lily beetles.

I've seen a couple of the lily beetles at the beginning of the season and one shot of Neem seems to have done the trick.

I follow the recommendations of the Cornell site which give you the best days to spray based on temperatures at your local airport.  https://newa.cornell.edu/user

They track the maturation of insects based on degree days.  With the OFM you must spray when the insect is in the larva stage as that's when it is most  susceptible to control.

Last year the SLF was a true pest but I think with  pheromone traps and judicious control the population seems to have decreased significantly.
Arnold T.
North East USA