Anyone used the greg app?

Started by Mikent, June 18, 2024, 03:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikent

While looking up some plant information, I came across a reference to the greg app (https://greg.app). It calculates the ideal amount of water necessary based on pot size, and amount of light (you can adjust the quantities of each with sliders). Also gives some basic info on the plant in question.

Has anyone used the app? It seems like there is (currently) a small number of plants profiled. It looks like maybe it started as care data on succulent plants that then expanded to include other plants.

I'd still research my plants as much as possible before acquisition. However, if the greg app information is accurate, it could be useful if you have a plant that just seems to want to die no matter what you're doing to care for it.

Mike
in Z6 Finger Lakes Region in Upstate NY, where we're expecting the entire coming week to be in the mid to high 90s (groan)

David Pilling

Greg is interesting. I only looked at the website and did not run the app.

It reminded me of "Dave's Garden" website. They seem to have got lots of user input, something PBS has struggled with on the wiki.

Problems I foresee are that some plants want watering when they are dry, rather than just once a week. An app. can remind you once a week, but can't see the plant is dry. The usual qualitative description fuzziness, "full sun" varies with where you are. And plants can survive in different conditions - just because your conditions are not optimal does not mean you can't grow something.

Commercial offering which allows them to do things... the business model is people are anxious about keeping plants, offer them reassurance.

"Sharing photos and moments" -- I've certainly had some plant moments in the garden best not shared.

I see some people get a Greg QR code with plants. Maybe PBS could be supplied in the box too.

There's an Amazon advert on UK TV at the moment where a young person moves into a bare and forbidding apartment and makes it friendly by buying plants and gardening supplies on Amazon. This is gardening for the future.