Southern Germany flood

Started by Martin Bohnet, June 01, 2024, 07:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Bohnet

A little follow-up to the wet flower pics: we had 94l/m² in the last 36 hours. this water level is already at least 50 cm above my street level and 4m above normal, so it would reach my front door ("Hochpaterre"), but for now the dike is holding. Rain slowed down but likely won't stop until another 6 hours...

Atheists don't pray, Engineers calculate and watch the levels upstream. Bonus points if you know the flooding plans: the other side of the river will drown first if there are no failures of dikes and canal backflow flaps... Still, I'm feeling uneasy.
Martin (pronouns: he/his/him)

Uli

Hello Martin,

I am holding my breath for you......
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate

David Pilling

Rescue worker dies, several thousand evacuated in southern Germany floods

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/rescue-worker-dies-southern-germany-floods-2024-06-02/

Comes with video - wow - been little mention of it on UK news.

Martin Bohnet

Thing is, it may be no news in the future - though it's statistically a "century flood", it will be more and more common.

Last night again was more critical than expected. I've been immensely lucky - both two villages upstream and one downstream, desaster struck, while we were spared. This video is in German, but the images tell enough - these are literally situations in a radius of less than 10 Kilometers around my home. My personal weather station tells me almost 160 l/m² since Friday, monthly expected average for June is about 100l/m²

I'll cut this one out of the picture topic and move it....

David Pilling

Martin - please keep dry.

l/m² are hard to comprehend after a lifetime of rain in linear measure - first inches and then today mm. Anyway for anyone else cognitively challenged, I confidently assert that 100l/m² is 100mm of rain (or 4 inches).

1 liter = 1/1000 cubic meter

liter/square meter = 1/1000 meter cubed/meter squared = 1/1000 meter == millimetre

Martin Bohnet

ah, the beauty of the metric system ::) Yes, mm is the official measurement here as well, though in my experience most non-technical people have a better comprehension of volume per area, even though the linear measurement tells how high the water would stand if it didn't drain away...