June 2024

Started by MLoos, June 02, 2024, 05:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLoos

Last of the Tulipa, first Crinum

Tulipa sprengeri from scattered seed about 6 years ago, seed from Alan Street, makes it even more special.  He liked to scatter it along the roadsides.  

Crinum 'Schreck' that has been in the same pot at least 8 years, probably needs a little more space but blooms seem unfazed.  Scheck 6.24.jpgTulipa sprengeri.jpg

Arnold

Mike

Sometimes they flower better with a tight root run.

I'd re-pot only with a small increase in diameter.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Arnold

Amorphophallus dunnii 

Large leaf 12-14 inches across.
Arnold T.
North East USA

Carlos

Zephyranthes filifolia (I think) ex Uli 

20240603_152750.jpg
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10
Dry Thermomediterranean, 450 mm

Arnold

Sauromatum venosum

Amorphophallus henryi
Arnold T.
North East USA

Carlos

Hi, prior to my article on Allium featuring part of my research, and partly funded by an MSI grant, for which I am so grateful, here goes one of the Allium sp. nov. I have been lucky enough to identify since I started in June, 2021:

WhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 12.01.47 (1).jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 12.01.47.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 12.01.47 (2).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-06-06 at 12.01.47 (3).jpg

Description and illustration are under process, I can only tell thet I received these yesterday from somewhere in Seville province, Spain.

Stay tuned.
Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Mikent

Hippeastrum hybrid called Lagoon. This is the third time it has bloomed in the last six months. The current bloom is actually a carmine pink color. The smart phone camera shifted the color into the carmine red zone.

In previous years, it has always bloomed as a saturated carmine red color. This is the first time it has been more carmine pink. The first blooming (late December) was interesting. The blooms were a mix of carmine red and carmine pink. It looked kind of like a watercolor painting, the more color saturated areas showed as carmine red, the less saturated as carmine pink. I was worried it might be an early sign of virus infection. Both the second blooming (later March) and third (just dying off now - this picture is from May 30) were carmine pink with no carmine red shading. No sign of any viral issues. Maybe the weird coloration was a result of warmer winter temps than previous years?

Arnold

Cyrtanthus obliquus coming along
Arnold T.
North East USA

OrchardB

Quote from: MLoos on June 02, 2024, 05:56:06 AMLast of the Tulipa,
Tulipa sprengeri from scattered seed about 6 years ago, seed from Alan Street, makes it even more special.  He liked to scatter it along the roadsides. 

Scheck 6.24.jpgTulipa sprengeri.jpg
My T. sprengeri (almost certainly from Alan / Avon Bulbs seem to have managed to self seed, and flower this year, ~40 feet from my original planting. I collect and send off seed to AGS most years, if I don't sew myself. They could not have been in this garden more than ~8 years. Something ate the seed head off though; but still have original patch to ripen.
Brian SE UK

David Pilling

Pictured today - my pot of red, orange and yellow Asiatic lilies. Zantedeschia aethiopica has been having a good year here, in a few neighbouring gardens - it has been a cold Spring in the UK.

Carlos

Allium pruinatum. A delicacy from SW Iberian Peninsula.

20240612_194245.jpg20240612_194131.jpg

Allium ionicum. A delicacy from Southern Greece.

20240612_183756.jpg

Carlos Jiménez
Valencia, Spain, zone 10

Arnold

Cytanthus obliquus
Taccarum caudatum
Arnold T.
North East USA

David Pilling

Quote from: Arnold on June 13, 2024, 08:26:13 AMCytanthus obliquus

Cyrtanthus brachyscyphus
is flowering here at the moment. The large flowered Cyrtanthus sanguineus
is well worth having.

Wylie

It has been a month since the Neomarica hybrid I have started flowering, and it and the Neomarica northiana are still flowering. Since this is the first time I have grown this, it is all pretty amazing.

Uli

Sinningia speciosa Regina Serra da vista. Not a cultivar but a local form. Raised from a single leaf given to me exactly 10 years ago. Flowers every year.
Uli
Algarve, Portugal
350m elevation, frost free
Mediterranean Climate