TOW N.H.Do in June - Garden

Diane Whitehead voltaire@islandnet.com
Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:26:36 PDT
In general, but particularly for Pacific Northwest North America and
Western Europe -

There isn't much to do in June except clear away dead bulb foliage,
and dig up and separate overcrowded clumps of bulbs.  You can also
plant a few more summer flowering bulbs like gladiolus for later
bloom.

THE EXCITING PART:

Now is the time to order rarities from specialty bulb nurseries. I
have listed a few of the genera that caught my eye -  particularly
ones I had never heard of before.

Here is a list of some with websites:

In the U.S.A.

http://www.thebulbman.com/
sells bulbs June through Sept 15
California
South African plus a few Brodiaea and Dichelostemma from California

http://www.odysseybulbs.com/
Michigan
fall planted bulbs lots of colchicums including Corydalis,
Lachenalia, Nerine, Oxalis, Tecophilaea

http://www.telosrarebulbs.com/
California
orders accepted until Oct.1  Shipping begins in late July.
Western U.S., Central and South America, South Africa, rest of world
some unusual amaryllids: Phaedranassa, Eucrosia, Rauhia
pages of Oxalis,
Blandfordia, Lapiedra

In Canada:
http://www.hillkeep.ca/bulbs%20main.htm
ships in the fall, but early ordering is advised.
Central Asian alliums,
lots of rhizomatous woodlanders.

In Europe:

http://www.pottertons.co.uk/
Potterton's
England
4 sp of calochortus, oxalis, including palmifrons
orders accepted from January, bulbs sent starting Sep 1

http://www.litbulbgarden.com/
Lithuanian Rare Bulb Garden
Leonid Bondarenko
central Asian bulbs and others.  Hybridizes elegant tulip  T.
acuminata x T. sprengerii hort. "Green Miracle".
order by July 30   airmail Aug and Sep

Janis Ruksans  Latvia
janis.bulb@hawk.lv
No website, and I've loaned my catalogue to a friend who is also
going to order.  This year Janis is listing lots of bulbs that he
hasn't listed before.  August 1 is the deadline.

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8