Starting from seed. Seed collection methods.

ken@wildlanders.com ken@wildlanders.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:41:15 PDT
For those that grow from seed and now that we are in the middle of seed season,
I am curious how folks collect their seeds?  Especially those that release seed
slowly over a long period of time.

I currently use nylon mesh bags. I tie them around seed heads and clumps.  They
are not elastic so none of the problems with nylon stockings and they will not tear
like paper bags. They are very fine nylon mesh and will even capture very tiny
wild onion seeds and they still allow some sun in and natural air movement for
more natural development of the heads. They are also excellent for drying pods and
seeds. Rather than trays that take up room, I just tack them to the wall up high -
give them an occassional quick tap to move the seed around for more even drying.
I can also roll the tops and clip with a clothes-pin and put them in the dehydrator at
95F. Air moves through the mesh. A lot less handling of the seeds.

They can also be washed and disinfected though I guess some chemicals may
dissolve the mesh. I am not certain how much heat they will take but they do ok in my
household clothes dryers.

In any event, I would be interested in other methods folks use. I do have extra bags
here if folks need them.

Kenneth J. Boettger
ken@wildlanders.com